How Can a NRI be Used?
The NRI results should be available for use by all municipal officials, community groups and others interested. Some of the ways the NRI can be used include:
- Develop or update the natural resources chapter of the master plan
- Develop a conservation plan or a municipal open space plan
- Support land conservation efforts
- Amend existing zoning regulations
- Evaluate the effects of proposed land use and zoning changes
- Provide a screening tool for development proposals
- Educate municipal officials and the public about their community's natural resources
Using the NRI provides more detailed information
While a community NRI is useful for municipal scale planning, the this broad scale is not generally suitable for site-specific issues. However, it may be used as a screening tool to see how projects fit into the larger context and identify areas where more site-specific assessments may be required.